History of U.S.S. Namakagon
Namakagon (AOG-53) was laid down August 1, 1944 by Cargill, Inc., Savage, MN and commissioned June 15, 1945, Lt(jg) Milton R. High commanding.
After completing her shakedown, Namakagon departed Baytown, TX for the Pacific on July 19, 1945. She arrived at Pearl Harbor as hostilities in the Pacific were coming to an end and on August 20, departed for Midway. Based at Pearl Harbor, she carried fuel to various islands scattered across the Pacific, including Johnston, Canton, Marcus, Truk, Guam Saipan, Okinawa, Pelelui, and to Japan, for over 18 months, then returned to the west coast for a much needed overhaul.
On June 9, 1947, she completed the overhaul at San Pedro and steamed north to her new homeport, Kodiak, Alaska. From Kodiak and from ports in Washington, she shuttled fuel, freight, and passengers to naval bases and stations scattered along the coast of Alaska and in the Aleutians Islands.
During the Korean War Namakagon served as a member of the underway replenishment force in the straight of Formosa providing small combatants with fuel.
Returning to Peral Harbor Namakagon operated throughout the Pacific region until 1957. Namakagon was awared the covited "E" for battle efficincy in 1953 and 1955. Then she sailed to Mare Island and deactivation.< i>Namakagon was decommissioned on September 20, 1957, and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet.
Namakagon remained in reserve until June 27 1962 when custody of Namakagon was transferred to the Commandant, 12th Naval District for activation. Namakagon was transferred, under the Military Aid Program, to the Royal New Zealand Navy, October 5, 1962.
Commissioned as HMNZS Endeavour (A-184), an Antarctic supply ship, Namakagon delivered fuel to research bases on the southernmost continent, delivering over 1 million gallons each year to McMurdo Sound alone.
Returned to the United States in 1973, Namakagon was again decommissioned and laid up in the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Namakagon was transferred under the Security Assistance Program to Taiwan, May 1, 1976, and is still in Republic of China naval service as Lung Chuan AOG-507.